“Renew in these your servants the covenant you made with them at their Baptism”The Book of Common Prayer, page 418
St. Augustine’s Confirmation program prepares youth in 8th through 12th grades for the rite of Confirmation, a liturgy in which baptized Christians affirm their faith and make a mature, public commitment to a life in Christ. Every two years, candidates for Confirmation come before the bishop to renew the promises that parents and godparents made on their behalf at their baptism. The bishop lays hands on the head of each confirmand in turn, praying to God for the Holy Spirit to empower and sustain them.
OVERVIEW AND CURRICULUM
The goal of our Confirmation program is to deepen the faith of our youth and to be present with them as they progress on their journey toward spiritual maturity. The lessons for our regular classes will come from the My Faith, My Life curriculum. This program engages students in an exploration of their faith in a safe atmosphere. The course will cover basic elements of our common life in the church: the sacraments (with a special focus on Baptism and the Eucharist), the Bible, The Book of Common Prayer and the Anglican/Episcopal tradition, as well as an emphasis on Christian life within the church and in the world. Students are also expected to attend church and to participate in other youth activities when they are able.
Please plan to purchase these two books for students taking the class:
2019 PROGRAM CALENDAR
This year, our confirmation program will run from late September through early November. In general, classes will meet on Sunday afternoons at 3:00 pm and will be taught by our Rector, the Rev. Jenny Owen.
Confirmation will take place on Sunday, December 1, 2019 when Bishop Shin visits our parish.
Below is a tentative schedule for Confirmation classes and activities.
- Sunday, September 22, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Sunday, October 6, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Sunday, October 20, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Sunday, October 27, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Sunday, November 3, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class /Christian Spiritual Practices/Parish House
- Sunday, November 17, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Sunday, November 24, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Confirmation Class/Parish House
- Saturday, November 30, Time TBD – Confirmation Rehearsal/Church
- Sunday, December 1, 10:30 am Confirmation/Church
To register your child for our class, please click here to fill out the registration form.
Adults interested in being Confirmed, Received, or Reaffirming their faith can contact The Rev’d Jenny Owen for more information.